It has been a year since the multi-national catering company Compass Group revealed that a contract had been signed with Northvolt for restaurants, café, catering and coffee and food vending machines. The restaurants are now open in both Skellefteå and Västerås with similar concepts.
André Hådén is pleased with the reception of the staff canteen which is located in the factory area of Northvolt Ett. His culinary history includes working in several of Skellefteå’s more high-profile restaurants.
– This was a blank slate with lots of new things to build up. Those kinds of challenges are fun, he says.
At Recharge, which is on its way to employ eight people, there are 260 seats for the restaurant’s visitors and 50 seats in a ”microwave kitchen” for those bringing their own food. When Norran visits there is quite a lot of movement in the restaurant even though lunch does not start for another hour.
– We also see that many people choose to meet here in connection with shift change between six and seven in the morning. We hadn’t understood that there could be that much activity here at that time, Hådén says.
The restaurant is open for three hours over lunch and offers what they call a deli buffet and street food with South American and Asian flavours. Northvolt Ett is entirely unique in Skellefteå in that staff from over 80 countries work there which means there are plenty of expectations and requests.
– We have a good concept but of course there could be culture clashes. On the street food side of the restaurant, we do a theme each week, says Hådén.
There is also an increasing number of vending machines spread out over Northvolt’s site, Market 24/7, that make meals, sandwiches, snacks, sweets and other things available at all times.
– We see that we will need a person working full-time looking after them going forward, says Hådén.
The food carts at Northvolt Ett, which there are currently seven of, will continue to be available in the area as they are seen as a good supplement to Recharge.
Other news at Northvolt Ett regards the head office which was first planned to be located outside the fence by the new street, Voltvägen. This plan has now changed.
– The head office will be built inside the area and located near production. The previous layout of the installation site didn’t have room for it but after a re-design it’ll be possible, says Sanna Bäckström, communications manager at Northvolt Ett.