In 2019, Godisgiganen opened its doors for the first time in Umeå, and at the beginning of 2023, it was time for Pontus Hiitti to open a new store in Lycksele.
As the third store opening, this time in Solbacken, approaches, Pontus Hiitti is becoming more experienced.
– I was just 22 years old when we started in Umeå and I had to learn everything, sometimes the hard way. You grow into the role, that applies to everything from purchasing to training routines, Hiitii tells Norran and continues:
– There is a lot going on in Skellefteå and we thought it would be a good place to open. We weren't actively looking for premises, so it worked out quite well when they actually contacted us.
If all goes according to plan, the store will open in late February or early March.
Many parts of society are experiencing difficult times, but Hiitti is not overly concerned.
– In my opinion, there is no need to worry, as the confectionery industry is historically not very sensitive to economic fluctuations.
There is still some work to be done before the opening; a store manager needs to be recruited, staff hired and the premises set up. Hiitti pays attention to details and wants the store to make an impression.
– The aim is to create a cool store.
Are you a candy fanatic?
–No, not really. I've kind of had my fill of candy, he says, explaining that he still had to eat some because of his role:
– Obviously, I have to sample the range. But it's not like I take home a kilo of candy for the weekend: those days are over, says Hiitti with a laugh.