Our ten point guide to your Swedish tax return

Tax return time is here.
Tax return time is here.

Eeek! It's soon time to complete your Swedish tax return form. Don't despair: following these ten points should make the process a little easier to understand. And, if in doubt, ask a tax expert.

Engelska 14 mars 2023 14:20

Before you file your taxes:

1. Obtain your personal identification number (personnummer) - this is a unique number assigned to you when you register with the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). You will need this number to file your taxes and other official paperwork.

2. Determine your tax residency - If you are a resident of Sweden for tax purposes, you will need to file a tax return with the Swedish Tax Agency. Tax residency is determined by a number of factors, such as the length of time you have lived in Sweden, your family situation, and your ties to other countries.

3. Gather all the necessary documents - before you start filing your taxes, gather all the necessary documents, such as your income statements, deductions, and other receipts. You can also request a preliminary income statement from the Swedish Tax Agency, which will provide you with an estimate of your tax liability. ┣

Filing your taxes:
4. Access the Swedish Tax Agency's e-service system - the easiest way to file your taxes in Sweden is through the Swedish Tax Agency's e-service system. You can access this system through their website, and you will need to log in using your personal identification number and electronic ID.

5. Fill out the tax form - the tax form will ask for information about your income, deductions, and other relevant details. You will need to fill out all the required fields, and the e-service system will guide you through the process. The tax form may include the following sections:

  • Income: You will need to report all sources of income, including employment income, self-employment income, rental income, and investment income.
  • Deductions: You may be eligible for various deductions, such as deductions for work-related expenses, deductions for charitable donations, and deductions for interest paid on mortgages.
  • Capital gains and losses: If you have sold stocks, mutual funds, or other assets during the year, you will need to report any capital gains or losses on your tax return.
  • Foreign income and assets: If you have income or assets in other countries, you may need to report them on your tax return.

6. Check your tax calculation - after you have filled out the tax form, the e-service system will calculate your tax liability based on the information you have provided. Check the calculation to ensure that it is accurate.

7. Submit your tax return - once you have reviewed and confirmed your tax calculation, you can submit your tax return to the Swedish Tax Agency through the e-service system. The deadline for filing your tax return in Sweden this year is May 2 (see fact box below). Check the Swedish Tax Agency's website for the exact deadline.

8. Pay any taxes owed - if you owe taxes, you will need to pay them through the e-service system. The system will provide you with information on how to make the payment. If you have overpaid your taxes, you will receive a refund.

Expecting some money back? Lucky you!

After you file your taxes:
9. Review your tax assessment - after you have filed your tax return, the Swedish Tax Agency will send you a tax assessment. Review the assessment carefully to ensure that it is accurate. The assessment will include information about your income, deductions, and tax liability, as well as any tax refunds or payments.

Request corrections - if you believe that the tax assessment is incorrect, you can request corrections from the Swedish Tax Agency. You may need to provide additional documentation to support your request.

10. Appeal the decision - if you are not satisfied with the outcome of your correction request, you can appeal the decision to a higher authority, such as the Swedish Administrative Court.

Keep copies of your tax documents - it is important to keep copies of your tax documents for at least six years in case you need to refer to them in the future. You can save your tax documents electronically, such as on your computer or cloud storage, or in paper form.

Additional information:
You may be eligible for various tax deductions and credits, such as deductions for work-related expenses (such as long commutes in your own transport), deductions for charitable donations, and tax credits for certain expenses, such as child care. Check the Swedish Tax Agency's website for more information on available deductions and credits.

If you use a car to commute, you may be able to claim some money back.

Non-residents of Sweden for tax purposes may also be required to file a tax return if they have income from Swedish sources. If you are unsure about your tax status, contact the Swedish Tax Agency for guidance.

If you need help with filing your taxes in Sweden, you can hire a tax expert or accountant to assist you. They can provide advice on tax planning, help you with filling out the tax form, and answer any questions you may have about the Swedish tax system.

The Swedish Tax Agency provides information and support in English as well as Swedish. You can access their website for guidance on filing your taxes, and you can contact their customer service center for assistance.

The Swedish tax system is progressive, which means that individuals with higher incomes pay a higher percentage of their income in taxes. The current tax rates in Sweden range from 32% to 57%, depending on your income level.

If you are a self-employed individual, you may need to pay additional taxes, such as social security contributions and value-added tax (VAT). Consult with a tax expert or accountant for guidance on your specific tax situation.

Please be sure to read more information on the English version of the Skatteverket website.

Important dates

March 14: The digital declaration opens. Requires e-identification and login to the Tax Agency 's website.

March 30: Last day to approve the return digitally, without changes or additions, to get back the tax in April.

May 2: Last day to declare taxes. 

Ämnen du kan följa